Limited Fork graphic

Monday, April 11, 2011

Technology and the Humanities

I am sitting here working on my project reflecting on what I've learned from this Technology and the Humanities class. It also provoked thoughts on my expectations of the class when I signed up and whether or not my expectations were accurate. Then this triggered other things in my brain so here it is.

I've learned that...

Nothing is ever complete.
Something is always interacting with something else, human or nonhuman.
Environment can be narrowly or widely defined.
The presence of you, as a human being, influences your work.
Unexpected interventions influence your thoughts.
Technology has revolutionized the way we communicate and express ourselves.
Bifurcating systems are extremely complex and cannot be defined in space or time.
Inspiration can come at any time during the day or night.
Conventional essays lack dimension.
Unconventional essays are multidimensional, but can include conventional themes.

And I could continue on, but frankly, I'm tired and need some sleep.

As far as my expectations for the class coming in, I didn't have any except to be using my iPod and learning how to blog. Both of these expectations were met, obvs.

But it goes beyond that. I was able to take what I learned and create an interactive system linking two very different things, rowing and sustainability.

Technology has allowed me to apply my love of rowing, as a sport, and apply it to my love of sustainability and connect with the larger society, even those who have never even heard of rowing. By using sensory details in my project, mostly sight and sound, I added dimensions that non-rowers never experience. It would not have the same effect if I simply wrote about my ideas for project.

Now that I've shared all of this,
I think it's time for bed.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's projects tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment